Subject: RE: FLASH: How does Flash 4 Magic compares to Flash Web Design?
From: Jason Bouwmeester
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:50:22 +0100

<snip>

>Gimme a break on that observation. For months I have been screaming for an
AS
>book that explains what you are doing and why. Flash Magic fails,
abysmally, on

Well I guess I been told... missed the boat on that one. However, I do come
from a strong programming background and I find F4M a good resource to have
a look at the code and try to modify it for my needs. Sure anyone can sit
down and type away to get the same code, but I didn't buy this book for
that, and the book has a Modifications section at the end of each chapter
suggesting ways that one can adapt the code. I don't think the authors
intended the book to be a "type out our code and use it and learn nothing
book".

>Finally, you can't compare Hillman's book to this one. Different beasts. If
>someone were to write an AS book that used the FLash 4 Magic approach of
project
>based technique that started small and worked up to complex, then that and
>Hillman's works would be a fdynamic one-two duo.

I didn't compare the two - Hillman's is definately Design oriented and I am
sorry but I do find the code examples to be nothing out of the ordinary. But
I bought the book for the design aspect and the streamlining hints it has
throughout.

>The book is full of lots of technique and nothing else. Sorta like those
sites I
>"dis" on a semi-regular basis.

Sounds like you do a lot of dissing of sites and books that you find to be
not fullfilling. Why don't you write the AS book that would be a dynamic
one-two duo with Hillman's book?

Like Todd Purgason said at FF2K: "Design is an opinion" - welp what books I
find useful is an opinion as well...

jb

flasher is generously supported by...