Subject: FLASH: Flash for multiplayer games w/ dbase connection
From: Irfan Uygur
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:13:48 +0100

Hi to everbody,
i'm planning to develop some hybrid-flash games (something like backgammon,
chess) where two players
will simultaneously be playing the games. I wonder if somebody has done
something similar to this
thing so that he/she will advice me on the pitfalls, tips and tricks.
i'm planning to use Flash with PHP as the server-side language and MySQL as
the database part.
i know that making a game something like this would be better done in java
but unfortunately
i don't have much java knowledge.
i'm thinking of mainly using the flash for the graphical parts and
animation and for some
game-rule checking (like where the various pieces are allowed to go on the
chess-board), and planning to
communicate to PHP for updating the users movements for the cross-playing
people. Something like
if i play my bishop send the moving piece info from flash to php through
hidden HTML input fields and update
this movement for the other user (from PHP to hidden HTML input fields and
from there to flash)
and finally i'm relying on PHP-MySQL to hold the players' scores, open chess
boards, number of open games, etc.
Has anyone done something similar to this ? Any ideas, commments welcome.
I'm especially interested in/afraid
of php/mysql for handling the simultaneus info coming from the open
tables/chessboards/updating movements for
the other players.

Thanks in advance
Irfan

flasher is generously supported by...