Subject: Re: FLASH: perspective tool
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 00:03:10 +0100

At 5:04 AM 4/17/0, STANGELAND H.K wrote:
> does anyone know how to achieve the same effect as
> the perspective tool in fex photoshop, in flash?

Hmm, sorry, I think this would be difficult to do. If you download the SWF
4.0 file format specification, then it describes what type of matrix
operations are available:
...//SWF_File_Format_Docs/BasicTypes.html#h3MatrixValues

There's translation and scaling in X and Y, and some skewing, but we don't
seem to have perspective transforms or 4-point transforms ("quads") in the
file format itself. From my understanding, this would imply that a
perspective transform would have to be described as a new symbol. Might as
well use FreeHand to create multiple objects using the same perspective
system then.

If you're instead trying to animate a perspective transform, then I'd
likely transform a copy of the art as a reference layer when using
shape-tweening. This would be more efficient than sending along each step
of the animation as a new symbol.

Could you drop a note to wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com, saying that you'd like
the file format and player to support more types of transforms in the
future, please? That's one way folks here gauge how people prioritize
future areas of work, thanks in advance.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...