Subject: Re: FLASH: OT - Video compression..
From: Michael@BTW
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:40:48 +0100

I'll have another look at it, then. Most of the ASF stuff I see has lower
quality sound & video at a lower frame rate for a given data rate when
compared to Sorenson or mpeg1. Can you set the peak data rate, keyframes,
frame rate, etc. manually with WME? Export or import a series of frames? Add
titles, href and interactive flash tracks?

As far as doing short video pieces, why stream? Unless you don't want the
video copied, progressive download allows you to use a much higher data rate
and still have the video play in near real time, most of the time.

> I like the Windows Media Encoder for streaming.
> It will stream a single avi into several different
> bandwidths, You can embed the files into the
> web pages, It works with netscape and IE on
> both PC and Mac machines, It runs on my
> Linux server and best of all, it's Free and
> so is the web based support.
>
> I will use this until a better value comes along.
>
> Oh yeah, the best thing is - The client loves his videos.

Do you have a link to them? I've been impressed with MeTV.com's asfs (and
the full screen feature is a real gee-whiz) by have been holding off on
putting stuff into ASF because of the low quality and the bugs (at least in
MCP's encoding of ASFs).

=====>
Michael Penney
Sharpener of the Cutting Edge