Subject: Re: FLASH: Button Tell Target
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:00:29 +0100

At 04:31 PM 8/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello again,
>
>I have been trying to get my button to change the display of a movie
>clip in the over and down states and have been unsuccesful. In the over
>frame I added a tell target action with an emebedded goto and play
>action... but this did not work... Where I declare the target, my movie
>clip list does not come up like it does when I tell target in the
>instance properties of the button in the main movie. Is there anyway to
>have my button tell targets to do things by actions in their state
>frames? It worked fine when I used onMouseOver; tell target; goto and
>play in thebutton instance properties, except that once I put my mouse
>over the hit area, and the targeted movie changes the way i would like,
>it does not change back when mouse rolls out...
>adam

Use a separate instance action for rollout, sending the clip to wehrever it
should go (a park frame or a reverse sequence or whatever). I know it may
seem like a lot of button programming, but I've found that Flash likes
redundancy/overkill (or maybe it's that I haven't had time to figure out
all the circumstances in which Flash knows to keep playing, etc.). On the
positive side, you'll get lots of practice programming Flash buttons and
then you're limited only by how fast you can type.

Also, I think (maybe) that just because a movie clip instance list isn't
showing doesn't mean you can't type in the reference to the movie clip
instance. P. 124 of the manual shows the movie clip reference syntax.

Good luck and please share whatever other fixes you come across.

Marc Hoffman
marchofatjps [dot] net (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net)