Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: New cartoon! ATTN. Anna McMillan
From: anna
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:52:34 +0100

>Could you give us all some information about this animation channel? I know
>you gave an email address to find out more, but if you posted that
>information here, it might save a lot of emails.

Thanks for your interest in HotWired's upcoming animation
project. Here's a general description of the project, followed by
technical specs.

We are looking for animations in a wide variety of styles, genres
and technologies. The most important thing to keep in mind is that
the site will be designed to showcase animations that stand alone as
entertainment pieces.

If you are interested in submitting work for our launch, please send
a URL with your artwork or an attachment of your animation to
animations-submissionsatwired [dot] com by August 21st, 1998.
However, we will be accepting ongoing submissions to the project.
If you are chosen as a finalist, the selection committee will contact
you by email. The honorarium for each selected animation is $250.

Good luck!

Wendy Owen
Producer
Wired Digital

General Description:
We are currently looking for submissions to an exciting new content
area - an animation site expected to launch October 1st, 1998. The
new site will showcase witty, artistic and innovative animations,
celebrating the most effective entertainment medium on the Web
today. In addition to acting as an ongoing online animation festival,
we hope to foster innovation and reward the people who have been
inspired by this medium by giving them the opportunity to reach a
mass audience with their animation artwork.

We are seeking animation pieces that can stand alone as entertaining
experiences. We hope to exhibit both independent and professional
work which use, but are not limited to, Shockwave for Flash,
Shockwave for Director, Quicktime (and other video formats),
Dynamic HTML, and Gif 89s.

Artists whose work is selected for the site will receive a $250
honorarium for each contribution.

Technical guidelines for submissions to HotWired's animation
project:

The upcoming HotWired animation site will showcase various
technologies that are native to the Web. These include:

Shockwave for Flash
Shockwave for Director
Quicktime
Streaming Audio
Streaming Video
Embedded Audio (.QT, .wav, .au, .aiff)
Dynamic HTML
Gif89
VRML
JavaScript

We cannot provide access to HotWired log files or traffic data. We
also cannot accept Perl, CGI or any other code to be run directly on
our servers.

Compatibility:
All artwork should be compatible with both Mac and PC versions of
Netscape 3 and 4 as well as PC versions of MSIE 3 and 4. Ideally
work will also be compatible with MSIE 4 for Macs, though this is
not a requirement.

Download Size:
Since these animations will be showcased on the Web, filesize and
download speed is very important to the acceptance of you work.
Ideally animations will be less than 500k, except for streaming
animations which can be larger. (Streaming media include, but are
not limited to, RealFlash, Flash video formats and some Quicktime
pieces.)

These are simply guidelines and by no means hard and fast rules.
Our goal is to get clean and fast artwork that is enjoyable and
accessible for our viewers. We are more than happy to discuss
approaches to presenting your artwork in our forum.

ceci n'est pas une file de signature

anna mcmillan
annaatwired [dot] com
annaattaylor [dot] org