Subject: FLASH: Generator: Replacing symbols
From: Andrew Vester
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:57:48 +0100

Hi there, I have just started using Generator (Beta3) again and I have
some questions about replacing symbols.
I can't seem to be able to replace a button using a text file.
Is it possible to replace symbols of the 'Button' type? I can only get
it to work with 'Graphic' & 'Movie Clips'.
I have also noticed that the symbol that I am trying to replace has to
be of the same type as the 'replacer'.
I can't for example take a 'Graphic' symbol and replace it with a
'Button' symbol.
I want to be able to set up maybe 20 buttons and then update them by my
text file, if a buttonis not available then I use a blank symbol to hide
it so it doesn't appear.
Does anyone have any ideas? Would a database be easier?
I have also noticed that you don't need the 'FlashGenerator' flag when
specifying your URL, am I correct in saying this?
For example in earlier release you would specify your URl as follows:
http://yourserver/FlashGenerator/sample.swt (where
FlashGenerator is not a directory but a flag)
Now you would just use:
http://yourserver/sample.swt

Is this correct?

Thanks for your time.