Subject: RE: FLASH: A bitmap wipe transition
From: David Owen
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:01:26 +0100

Fletch-
Try this. If you are working in Flash 3 then you can take advantage of alph
channel transparencies in bitmaps. These are brought in with PNG files (dual
platform) or PICT files on a Mac.

Create a tall vertical file in an image editor of an appropriate solid color
for your wipe. Give this file an alpha channel fade off to one side or
another, depending on which way your wipe moves. (if you get this wrong,
don't worry, you can flip it later in Flash).

Now import this bitmap into flash and you will see that there is tranparency
along the edge corresponding to the alpha channel. Next create a symbol of
a solid rectangle of the same color as your bitmap, this should be big
enough to perform your wipe. Place this rectangle on a layer just under the
layer containing the PNG bitmap with the transparent edge. Line up the PNG
with the edge of the rectangle so the transparent edge is facing out. Now
you can animate these 2 elements together to perform your wipe.

The reason you do not do this with one large PNG is file size. Just use
enough of a bitmap to create your edge then use a vector to occupy the bulk
of the wipe.

* Owen *