Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: 3D Vector Animation
From: David Gary
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:18:39 +0100

bassbin wrote:

> @ http://www.nrg.be in the "funstuff" section there is a great rotating NRG
> logo. Is this what the whole thread is about? From what I know of 3d and
> vector, none of these explanations tell much. If it is possible to export
> wireframe renderings as vector, which application on which platform are you
> using to do so? Vertigo 3D for Illustrator is the closest thing I have seen
> to 3D in vector, and it doesnt even animate.

Hiya bassbin,

Heres how its done. You must have a 3D proggy to create the model.
Rhino has a demo I believe you can download at http://www.rhino.com
You create the model, change it's properties to 100% illumination and animate
it with as few frames as possible still keeping it smooth. export the animation

as sequence in bmp format. Import sequenced bmp into Flash, find a balanced
setting in "bitmap trace" that will work and trace each bmp. Then you have to
painstankingly use the "gradient" fill tool to give it a "lighted" effect. You
can
set the model to 0% illumination in the 3Dmodeler, set the lighting and
re-render it, import those sequences, place them on a lower layer in flash for
tonal and lighting studies and them simply trash when done.

At NRG, the 3d animated icon looks like alot of animated rotating and so on,
but it really is only about 10 frames rotating 180 degrees and Peter has
then rotated the icon laterally in Flash3 so it gives it more of an "animated"
effect. On the rollover he could have simply flipped the images vertically
and then horizonally to give it 180 and keep the file size down.

NRG is definelty a bad boy site, but I was personally expecting a full length
feature for 450k.

-DG-