Subject: Re: FLASH: please give a brotha a hand!
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:11:43 +0100

Hi Thomas, Yan and all,

> This is a messy/dirty solution but...
No need for messy solutions.

> ...a while back I think I managed to do what you want ie. retract the
> menu when you move off it by creating a button same size as stage but
> the only keyframe it had was in Hit (no - up, over or down).
This is an invisible button. You will see the button as a transparent
cyan color if
Control > Enable Buttons is unchecked. Note, it covers a wide area under
all the buttons.

> What you need to do is cut out ie. delete the area where the extended
> menu is in this buttons Hit frame.
> This is fiddly getting it in the right spot.
> Now drop this large button into a lower layer in the 'studios drop down'
> clip. Usually the last frame.
Put the BIG invisible button under the other buttons, then there is no
need for cutouts.
Make sure that the hit areas of the drop down buttons touch or slightly
overlap.
To make this easier, change the behavior of of each button to Graphic
single frame frame:4 then go to the last frame of the MC to see the hit
frames. Note, how I changed the colors of the hit areas alternately to
see the overlap better. These are just expanded to approximate size,
normally I would use math and place them exactly with the inspetor.
Return the behaviour of each button to BUTTON.

Make sure there is an Instance name for Each MC
The action for the Big Button in this case needs a Tell Target for each
DropDown MC.
2 are done below.

On (Roll Over)
Begin Tell Target ("/Studio")
Go to and Stop (1)
End Tell Target
Begin Tell Target ("/Services")
Go to and Stop (1)
End Tell Target
End On

The revised file is available for review.