Subject: Re: FLASH: exporting Flash images
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:50:46 +0100

At 3:39 PM 8/24/99, Karin Christensen wrote:
> The person I am in contact with is asking the art director. All
> she could tell me is that they need 300 dpi and at least 3 inches
> in size. The final image is only going to be about an inch.

Hmm... if they're seeking source material at least 900 pixels wide, but
will drop it down to only a published inch in width, then I'd guess they
either have an extremely high-res imagesetter, or someone _very_ practiced
at deblurring images.... ;-)

You can tell her this is a screen based image, and that you can give her a
screen capture at the largest size your monitor can support. (I suspect
this is what they usually do anyway, even though most applications can't
scale like Flash can.) There could be other ways to go, but this would be
the clearest shot.

(Just to be sure, the "300 dpi" is a red herring here... once you're in
pixel land then you can change DPI back and forth all day, because all that
really matters is the number of pixels in the image. Because Flash is a
screen-based tool, rather than a print-based tool, a screen capture would
usually be the most direct way to get images of that approximate size.)

jd