Subject: Re: FLASH: Pixel shift on imported images
From: Jeff Sibley
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:09:21 +0100

John Dowdell wrote:

> At 7:33 AM 8/27/99, Jeff Sibley wrote:
> >> I have been making some 100pixel x 30pixel buttons in Photoshop 5 which I
> >> have imported into Flash 4. They look great in Photoshop but when I import
> >> them into Flash they appear to have moved down and over by a couple of pixels
> >> resulting in the bottom and right side of the buttons being cut off. I have
> >> tried to import them as Pict and PNG but I get the same effect. Any idea what
> >> is causing this???
>
> One way might be if there are "Layer Effects" applied around the borders.
> Just a hunch, though.

I am using "Layer Effects" in Photoshop to create bevels on my buttons. Does this
not import well into Flash? I have tried importing a simple 100pixel x 30pixel
black rectangle with a 2 pixel white border (without any Layer Effects") into Flash
from Photoshop and Flash does the same thing - it cuts off the bottom and right
sides.

> Have you had much experience in making buttons in Flash yet, though? If
> you're relying on pixel-based images for major artwork then you may have
> resizing issues in most browsers -- Flash's own artwork scales easily, but
> if the artwork is based on pixels then it needs to be resampled at runtime,
> and that isn't quite as neat.

I am using Photoshop to make my buttons because I need a wood grain pattern for the
buttons. I guess I could Import the wood grain into Flash, break it apart and then
paint a rectangle with the bitmap pattern. What would be the best way to create a
bevel? Should I create wedge shapes and fill them with a transparent color to
simulate the bevels? This is lots of work.

Could you explain what the browser resizing issues are. I am using the imported
images at 100% scale in flash. Are you saying that a browser will try to change to
scale to meet the browser window?

Thanks John.