Subject: FLASH: New Media OpEd pushes Flash- opinions?
From: Chris Burke
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:57:35 +0100

In the Sept. issue of New Media magazine there is an Op Ed by Neil
Balthaser of Balthaser Online called "Kill HTML". The article casts doubt
upon the presumption that html can help the web compete seriously for the
TV and film audiences. Mr. Balthaser feels developers and designers should
embrace Flash as the most robust web authoring environment around. When
Flash 4 was introduced, I mused privately to friends that it may well
unseat the browser as the way to view/interact with the web.

If this isn't too off-topic, I'd love to hear what Flashers think (as an
admittedly biased source).

What does Flash have that html doesn't (just list a few important things)?
What do browsers have that Flash does not and/or will not have?
Would the disappearance of html cause a serious change in the way we
experience the web?
If so, how are these changes good and how are they bad?

If it's way off-topic, maybe you can suggest another forum. I'm not using
the answers for anything but to settle my own curiosity.

Thanks.

/Chris Burke