Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Player 5
From: Randy Kato
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:02:43 +0100

I can't believe people are missing the point so much here. Brad, you're much too
generous in your assumption of the knowledge level of "most people." We're not
talking about developers here, we're talking about people like my Mom who has no
idea what a Beta is, or what a Plugin is for that matter. People like this who
don't have the plugin automatically get sent to this page
(http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash)
- take a look at it! To someone with no knowledge of this stuff what plugin do
you think they're going to wind up with?

Yes, an open beta is a great way to iron out all the bugs in a plugin, but it
should be made available ONLY to the developer community -- the people who know
what to look for and who will notice if something isn't working properly. People
who will take the time to (and know how to) inform MM of bugs. My mom would not,
and could not do this, yet if I hadn't made her download the Flash4 plugin
before the 5 beta was posted, she most likely would have ended up with the 5
beta, and sites may not work for her, and then she'll go around badmouthing this
newfangled Flash thing to all her friends and....

We develop in Flash. If Joe Surfer gets a plugin that is faulty simply because
he was following directions on a page he was automatically redirected to, and
then has problems with one of our client's sites...it's bad. Bad for Joe Surfer.
Bad for our client's reputation. Bad for the developer's reputation. Bad for
Macromedia. Bad for Flash.

I hope the next time you check the above URL, this message will be moot.

-Randy

--
Randy Kato - Web Master

627 Broadway, Suite 504, NYC 10012