Subject: FLASH: OT: Flash 6 aka DirectFlash!
From: Dave Broz
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 19:00:02 +0100

hi all,

hehehe... I know this is a little earlier for a Flash 6 discussion
considering Flash 5 is not out yet.... but sometimes there is no harm in a
few thoughts out loud. (actually inspired by the Branden Hall FF2K interview
@ www.flashmagazine.com ) ...sorry for the big post..

I have been wondering what is going to happen in Director when Flash 5 comes
out. At the moment in Director 8 you can access a number of Flash 4
properties from a flash 4 sprite. How is this going to work when I have a
flash 5 sprite (now that flash 5 as more defined properties)... does it mean
that I am going to have to wait for a new version of director for more
Lingo??? does anyone know if there are intentions of a new Flash Asset
Xtra...?? MM??

aaarrrhhhggg...For me I see a disaster about to happen in the near
future.... I am in a situation that I make some pretty weird stuff quite
often using Flash Sprites (sometimes not made by me) that were originaly
built for the web and then implemented in Director down the track with other
media ..mpeg2 movies etc... some of the projectors I make even call the web
for swf's... ...my concerns are not personal but I have big clients using
stuff like this (which seemed feasible at the time.. one of the reasons I
upgraded to Director 8)... and if it doesnt work it means: unhappy clients =
unhappy developer... ...of course there will always be work arounds.

anyway there doesn't seem to be anything said at MM that tackles this
issue..

I also keep an eye on the Direct-L list [consider them as not so distant
cousins... ; ) ] and there are also some very mixed sentiments with the
announcement of Flash 5. I guess my concerns lie in the adoption and/or
change of a file format particularily when that file format has to function
in multiple applications. It is even more of a concern that the
implementation of a file format developed by a company may not work across
it's own applications! Eventually it effects the clients, users and those
who make there livelyhood from the tools (order maybe reversed).

However don't get me wrong, I think the swf is a great format, the files are
small and so is the plug-in (and I can't wait for Flash 5, real programming
at last!).. I guess, reasons for it's success, and possibly the future of
the net. But let us hope that we don't go beyond the point of no return. I
think as developers we have the responsibility to keep check with what goes
out there as it eventually dictates the nature of the medium. Let's just
make sure it is easier for everyone, and lets hope MM are listening to us.
I have always liked the idea behind www.w3.org despite its bureaucracys'
(gotta love Tim Berners-Lee ...bless him), but without it's standardization
we would not have what we have today.

Sorry if this may seem like a Director rant.. but it should be heard on the
Flasher side of things as well ...we are all growing up fast.... I think.

I also know a few of us dabble in both Flash, Director and other MM
applications and would understand my concerns.... so far... so good.

my 2c's

Dave Broz
Multimedia Producer
www.frame-eleven.com

Don't give me Flash 6, I want DirectFlash! (c) 2000 ; )
Forgive me it's a Monday. Bored of playing Monopoly.
R.I.P Obi Wan Kenobi. Your force will be with us always.