Subject: Re: FLASH: Lightwave into flash?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:39:54 +0100

At 9:39 AM 8/7/0, Krista McLean wrote:
> does anyone know of a reliable way to use lightwave content
> with flash? ...Manual tracing makes my little project almost
> impossible time wise, so looking for another solution...

If it takes too long to trace, it will likely take too long to download
too! With the SWF file format each new piece of artwork adds to filesize,
and you can then manipulate each sprite at fairly low cost. The key to
efficient filesizes is to minimize the number of media elements.

This article contains more general background to those coming to SWF with
video experience:
"Flash for Videographers and 3D Animators"
http://www.macromedia.com/go/14494

You might want to consider using a Lightwave toon shader (cel shader?
cartoon shader? I'm not sure which name they use). This can give you the
nice contrasts that work well in vector descriptions.

You might also consider requesting that NewTek implement direct-to-SWF
rendering and Shockwave 3D export... right now they're getting many
requests for both, so adding your vote could help swing things, thanks.

jd