Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash on PDA
From: phillip m. torrone
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 05:00:53 +0100

jason,

before i get into specifics, you can use flash to create content for all \
most pdas right now, it simply depends on the application and the specific
device to what the final delivery format will be.

currently the palm platform does not support playing swfs, but as i said
that doesn't mean you can't display flash based content. for example we
often create flash content for a web site and using generator, we produce a
palm friendly version of that content in a more static format (gif, jpg).
one authoring environment, multiple deliveries. for example, stock
information, the online bank we created in flash displays a really exciting
flash chart and updates every minute, we also can deliver that very same
chart as a gif, jpg, or animated gif through generator.

the benefits of creating content in a way like this allow us to support
devices that play the swf file format; the pocket pc, psion, symbian
phones, set top devices like the excite@home while still supporting the 6
million palm users out there.

if you've seen any of the last few keynotes @ flashforward with kevin lynch
and / or tom hale both of macromedia, or the braincraft presentation at
flashforward you've seen the devices first hand that support flash.

with 92+% of browsers supporting macromedia flash, more than a quarter of
billion+ users who can display flash, and the top internet destinations all
running flash (including palm's site) one could bet that the next
generation of palm devices slated for 2001 will support flash. if you've
created content with that in mind, you're in a good spot.

here's a bunch of links from my presentation, hope it helps and feel free
to ping me for more. there's a couple forthcoming books that myself and
chris wiggins of braincraft are working on that address mobile content in
regards to flash, stay tuned.

Designing Web Sites for PDAs
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/20/index2a.html?tw=design

Developing for the UP.browser
http://www.phone.com/products/upbrowser.html

Supporting WAP
http://www.wapforum.org/

AvantGo
http://avantgo.com/developer/web/index.html

Creating content for AvantGo
http://avantgo.com/developer/reference/tutorials/jumpstart/jumpstart.html

excite@home (Flash 4)
http://www.home.com/

Sega Dreamcast will support and play Flash (Flash 3/4)
http://www.retokyo.com/games/news/enb90715.htm

Liberate integrates Flash into their PopTV program (Flash 3)
http://www.liberate.com/

Netgem are developed a Flash player for their NetBox set-top box (Flash 3)
http://www.netgem.com/

WebTV (Flash 3)
http://www.webtv.com/

Palm
http://www.palm.com
III, IIIe, IIIxe, IIIc, V, Vx, VII (plus all those that were released today)

PocketPC Devices (Flash 4 support coming soon, get ready!)
http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/default.asp

Casio Cassiopeia E-115
Casio Cassiopeia EM-500
Compaq Aero 1550
Compaq iPAQ 3650
HP Jornada 545/548
Hitachi HPW-600ET (ePlate) Handheld PC

Visor
http://www.visor.com

Nokia
http://www.nokia.com

Motorola
http://www.motorola.com/

Ericsson
http://www.ericsson.com/

QualComm
http://www.qualcomm.com/

Symbian (EPOC)
http://www.symbian.com/

Psion
http://www.psion.com

The Apple Newton ;]

cheers,

phillip m. torrone
director of new technology
b r a i n c r a f t
627 broadway suite 504
new york, ny 10012
v: 212.539.1680 ext. 201
f: 212.539.1741
m: 201.921.9306
http://www.braincraft.com

At 06:37 PM 8/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Jason_Schubringataal [dot] org wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I am looking for resources to learn more about running Flash on Palm
Pilots,