Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash 5/6 aka DirectFlash! Some suggestions
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:38:01 +0100

> Heres a couple of suggestions for Flash 6:
>
> Ive been looking at Branden Hall's sprung.swf Flash 5 demo. A 1-spring, 2
> body system consumes 50-60% of my 600MHz CPU. Now Branden is a smart guy,
so
> I cant really imagine that hes implemented that demo too shabbily. If this
> is anything like what we can expect, then the performance of ActionScript5
> leaves a lot to be desired. Suggestion: Make ActionScript byte code
> interpretation much much faster. For games, for anything requiring a
modicum
> of physical simulation or computation, a faster interpreter is needed.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'bytecode' here. Do you mean the
traditional
java-style interpreted stuff? I haven't hacked apart a version 5 SWF yet,
but I would
guess that it contains the Actionscript as a list of some kind of
uniform-length strings.

This is pretty close to the way java works, with the plugin being the VM and
the SWF
(or the portion of it containing the actionscript) being the class file.

Sure they could expand the instruction set...if it's taking as long as you
say, then maybe
the instruction set isn't big enough (maybe it's multiplying by using its
own addition
function multiple times, for instance). I think this might be pushing a
200K plug-in
though...

Good suggestions though... I'm not so sure the video suggestion is such a
good idea
(just because Flash is intended for narrowband, primarily), but the bones
idea was
great...

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.