Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash 5/6 aka DirectFlash! Some suggestions
From: Branden Hall
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 23:01:31 +0100

I see your points, however, if you look at what Flash 5 gives you, an XML
parser, socketed connection ability, color manipulation, sound control,
etc... all on top of a rendering engine that handles not only vectors, but
also bitmaps, including transparency, 200K is pretty crazy.

Also, adding a video system to Flash would add a HELL of a lot more than
200K to the size..Just look at the size of the quicktime or even vivo
plugins. Besides, MM is trying to get Flash everywhere, and in PDAs,
phones, and web-top boxes the law of the land is the K, period. And having
a combined plugin thing like Director does would not only add quite a bit to
the plugin size, but it would also make the plugin less cross-platform,
which is not acceptable.

As for the math... the Flash renderer, is, unless I am mistaken, scanline
based, hence trig and all that kind of stuff isn't needed by the renderer.
Thus, there is nothing to "expose" to actionscript, sorry to say. Then,
when it comes to newtons method, etc, that kind of stuff will have to be
done *somewhere*, might as well be in the SWF its self, that way the plugin
can worry about more troublesome things.

If you compare what Unreal has code wise to do its software rendering,
including GL, and directX, its pretty nuts how *much* code is required to do
that kind of stuff fast. Not only that, but a huge amount of the
computations inside of those kind of games are pre-processed when the maps
are made. Also, bitmap calcuations are, but nature a LOT easier than vector
calculations... just yank open a big ass PDF and you will see what I mean.

-= Branden J. Hall
-= Senior Interactive Developer/Instructor
-= Fig Leaf Software - "We've got you covered!"