Subject: Re: FLASH: camera flash/sparkle effect?
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:58:38 +0100

I've had good results creating a lens flare in photoshop
and tracing it (by hand) in Flash using custom gradient
fills. It takes a little time, but the results can be very
realistic and small in filesize.

Also keep in mind that jpegs are not transparent, so an
all-jpeg lens flare animation could not really appear on
top of other Flash elements without blocking them out.
The tracing method would avoid that problem
completely. The only disadvantage is that animation of
your traced lens flare might be a little heavy on the CPU
due to the gradients and all the different alpha levels, but
there's always a trade-off between processor demands
and filesize.

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com