Subject: Re: FLASH: How did you all get started?
From: Bobbi Ragon
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 01:01:59 +0100

You'll save a lot of money that you can spend on software if you try to
learn various programs on your own as much as you can. It can be hard to
learn from books (hard to keep motivated to slog through all the exercises
on your own), rather than classes, but you get used to it.

I just learned Flash from the book 'Flash 4 for Windows and Macintosh:
Visual Quickstart Guide', by Katherine Ulrich. The Visual Quickstart Guides
are outstanding - only about $20.00 each, and they have lots of practice
exercises (like a workbook format, basically). You can find out more about
them from the Peachpit Press site at http://www.peachpit.com. Peachpit has
so many different kinds of software books! The latest: 'The Little Audio CD
Book'. It's cool! (Especially for someone who knows absolutely nothing about
MP3s, like me.)

After you go through the VQS book, then you should get the Flash 4 Bible.
It's a really thick book and can seem overwhelming at first. It's probably
best just for reference now and then. Also, it's great for its list of
various Flash technical forums and Websites that include Flash tutorials.

Also, you should keep in mind that in addition to this Flash mailing list,
some other great sources of technical info are the Usenet newsgroup
alt.macromedia.flash and the Macromedia newsgroup macromedia.flash (you get
to macromedia.flash you have to access a separate Macromedia newsreader, via
the macromedia site at http://www.macromedia.com).

Incidentally (if it helps, as background/general info), I just set up some
Flash clips for the first time a few weeks ago. After creating some
semi-basic clips and getting frustrated about their slightly choppy effect,
I posted to various forums asking for help. I found out from some really
nice, helpful people at alt.macromedia.flash that to make the clips run more
smoothly, I really needed to add a fading-in-and-out effect not to the
images themselves, but to a white rectangle added on a separate layer in
front of each image (and also I had to apply the 'modify/break apart'
command to each jpg image). Neat trick! And my Flash clips do run more
smoothly, so it does actually work! I don't remember such a technique
mentioned in either the VQS book or the Flash 4 Bible (though I haven't read
all of the Flash 4 Bible yet - just some chapters).

Hope that helps! Good luck! :)

Bobbi R.
RGB Notes
http://www.rgbnotes.com
(Flash clips on main page and Photo Gallery page)

Amnesty Chapter 536 (Adams-Morgan and Dupont Circle, Washington, DC)
http://www.amnesty-volunteer.org/usa/group536/
(Flash clip on main page)

on 8/17/00 3:23 PM, Patrick at pmatwctech [dot] net wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I am really interested into learning Flash to it's fullest extent and wanted
> to know the direction I should go in. Should I take classes, or read books?
> If I should take some classes, are there any classes in the Bay Area (San Jose
> mainly) that are really good and informative? And if I should get books, what
> are some good Flash books out there that will help me with most of my
> questions?
>
> Also, if you guys can give me some pointers I would appreciate it. Thanks a
> bunch!
>
> Patrick

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list