Subject: RE: FLASH: Win98 vs NT?
From: Brack, Jeremy
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:50:45 +0100

What are your system specs on your NT box?

I have a 600Mhz PIII laptop running Win 98 with 128MB SDRAM, and a 450Mhz
PIII desktop running NT4Pro SP6 with 256MB SDRAM. My NT machine runs all
Flash files faster and more stable (no slowdown or much less slowdown on
complex animations). Also, NT can go beyond the 30FPS barrier that Win 98
has with Flash 4.

If your experiencing slowdown on your NT machine:
it could be that you need more RAM, faster CPU, better video card or video
card with at least 8MB of RAM, more free hard drive space, or maybe you need
only to re-install Flash.

You might also want to defrag your hard drive on NT. NT unfortunately didnt
ship with a defrag utility, so I suggest you get a defragment program if you
havent done so already. I use Disk Keeper for defragging NT, and it seems
to work pretty well.

If your NT box is at least a PII, 128MB SDRAM, 8MB video card, roughly 1 GIG
free space on your hard drive, freshly defragged hard drive, and freshly
re-installed Flash 4, then perhaps you are running too many programs in the
background on your NT machine.

One other thing.. you said your running NT Server on your box. If that box
is an active server in your company, then your probably using most of your
CPU resources before you even run a Flash movie. Server Machines are not
typically used for web design or web browsing. NT Server usually has its
CPU resources dedicated for web hosting and network traffic.

Flash Player 5 will allow your Win 98 machine to run Flash movies faster
than 30 FPS. I do not think installing Flash Player 5 on your NT machine
will solve your problem, but its worth a try. When I installed Flash Player
5 on my Laptop and on my NT machine, both computers played Flash movies at
roughly the same performance.. The NT machine was still able to handle the
ultra complex movies slightly better though.

Since your project is an Intranet site and cant be posted live for us to
test, how about create a copy of it with all of the vital info removed? Put
in garbage copy in place of the real text. Well only if you have free time.
I know how busy it can get.. its like that here everyday.

Sorry if this message comes like 3 days late.. Flasher usually delays my
messages by a couple of days.

Jeremy