Subject: Re: FLASH: Access technology
From: Colin Moock
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 18:59:05 +0000 (GMT)

flasheratshocker [dot] com,Internet writes:
>Hi flashers!

>Here's a techie question...
>I've been asked to 'liven up' our website, but the audience is mainly partially
>sighted and blind people. This means that whatever idea I come up with, it
>should be accessible via whatever access technology they use. I would love
>to start off by adding some animated buttons to the site, designed with the help
>of Flash. Does anyone out there have experience of Flash and speech
>synthesis software like JAWS or PW Webspeak?

To my knowledge, PW Webspeak does not directly render flash movies to voice.
AfterShock, however, does have export options that let you insert your text in
the body of the file in which your movie is embedded. This allows search
engines to index content from Flash movies, but could possibly be adapted to
your purpose. A couple good places to start your research are:

The Web Accessibility Initiative (part of the W3C)
http://w3c.org/WAI/

WebABLE!
www.webable.com

If you're looking to possibly have someone as an accessibility consultant on
contract, contact me directly (colin_moockaticeinc [dot] com)...I can refer you to
someone who could ask the PW Webspeak developers how that browser handles
Flash. I know they were attempting to deal with Java, and there's a Java-Flash
player, so you never know...

-Colin