Subject: RE: FLASH: Load movie & buttons problem
From: Vishnevsky, Nelly
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 16:49:11 GMT

Our site is pretty large, so it uses Load Movie to load separate .swf files
on demand.

Level 0 has the most generic descriptions with clickable buttons in various
positions on the screen. Once a category is selected and the appropriate
button clicked, it loads another .swf movie with more detail information
into Level 1. A similar relationship exists with the next level: once a
button is hit on Level 1, another, even more detailed, .swf movie is loaded
into Level 2, etc.

The problem is that the buttons from the underlaying layers are still
active. In other words, even though you are on Level 3 and don't see the
button from Level 1 below, the cursor is still turns into an "active"
pointer on rollover. Moreover, clicking on what seems like an "empty place"
leads to unpredictable for the user results. I can't tell you how
frustrating it's been.

One obvious solution would be to combine all .swf's into one large movie,
would become out of control very fast.

Another thing I was considering was to use the "park" frames. There is one
obstacle though: if I park Level 0 when loading Level 1, how will I know
which frame did I call Level 1 from? Once the user is done reading Level 1,
they should be able to click the "More" button and get back to the same
frame on Level 0 they departured from. The same true for all levels 0
through 3: once I'm done reading Level 2, I hit the "More" button, which
unloads Level 2 and shows me the frame underneath in Level 1 where I came
from.

What makes it even more convoluted is that there is more than one frame in
Level 0 from which the same .swf movie can be loaded into Level 1. The same
holds for other levels as well: there are many different movies that can
occupy Level 1 and from which the same swf movie can be loaded into Level 2,
and so on.

The last blurry idea stirring in my confused mind is to add Tell Target
action every time any .swf movie is loaded to turn all the buttons on the
underlaying Level into graphics. This would be an extremely time consuming
effort though: each frame can have as many as 50 different buttons, which
means adding 50 Tell Target commands upon every Load Movie??? Not even
mentioning making each and every button into a Movie Clip first.

Before I venture into this deeply, maybe someone can help me see if there is
an easier solution. I'm sure I'm not original in my problem. It's just too
bad that we found out so late in the process about the buttons being still
active even when covered with loaded movies on top.

Nelly Vishnevsky