Subject: FLASH: ActiveX Problem with loadmovie .swf
From: Len Harrison
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:20:43 GMT

Hi folks,

This isn't a killer, but it *is* a headache. I'm using the ActiveX control
within a VB application. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to loadmovie
within Flash itself. All files are within the same directory. Things work
fine with a projector or standalone .exe. They just don't work within VB.

Here's some test code that *does* work in VB:
MsgBox CurDir
ChDir App.Path
MsgBox CurDir
Flashtest.Movie = App.Path & "/host.swf"

The MsgBox displays confirm the current directory is right, but if I change
Flashtest.Movie = App.Path & "/host.swf"
Flashtest.Movie = "./host.swf" or ".\host.swf" or "host.swf" it doesn't
work.
Big-deal, *except* host.swf has a bunch of loadmovie commands it needs to
execute and they don't work either, presumably for the same reason,
regardless of syntax. Now I can't hardcode the path because I don't know
where the user is going to install.

SO...all I'm left with is loading the movies with FSCommands from Flash back
to VB so I can use the App.Path syntax. And that works too.

Only problem, which is a headache but not a killer, is that I have three
potential platforms for delivery: VB, HTML, and Screensaver. And each
loadmovie alternative will work on only two of the three. I suppose I can
code both the FSCommand and the direct loadmovie into each frame and only
enable the FSCommand in VB. Otherwise I need to maintain multiple source
documents which is *not good at all*.

Could it be that the ActiveX control references it's own location as "."?

Anyway, I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong (though I haven't a clue
what it might be) and wonder if anyone else has run across this before and
solved it.

Any help appreciated,

len harrison
instructional designer