Subject: RE: FLASH: What's the deal with LOAD MOVIE?
From: Len Harrison
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:19:36 GMT

Hi Flashers,

This is somewhat an FYI on LoadMovie unless someone has better information.
A few things I've discovered in the past couple of days (everything here
applies to using the ActiveX control with VB. I don't know where else this
applies but it does *not* apply to html or to standalone players:

(In VB using the ActiveX)
1) All .swf's called with LoadMovie need an explicit, full-path. Unless you
know where they will be installed on the client machine, this means you
cannot LoadMovie from within the .swf. You must use an FSCommand from your
movie back to VB and then load the movie from VB.
2) Level _99 is not happy in VB. Level _98 is fine. Change top-level movie
loads from Level 99 to Level 98.

Again these are VB with ActiveX peculiarities (features? bugs?) and do not
apply to HTML or projectors.

While I'm at it, another "feature" to spotlight:
Excessive size reduction of an .swf "loadmovie" graphic used as a button
appears to create UAE's in all flash delivery mechanisms on PC's running
WinNT (have not tested Macs or '95/98 systems). Size reduction involved
taking a full screen image and reducing it to iconic size. Crash does not
occur in a reliable or predictable fashion but is triggered by the over
event repeated a number of times (whether or not there is an action attached
to this event). Replacing the graphic with a smaller (and in this case
simpler one) that has not been significantly reduced in size eliminates the
problem.

My arcane contributions for the day.

len harrison
instructional designer