Subject: Re: FLASH: How to make button in movieclip access a frame outside the clip in the movie
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:42:29 GMT

At 10:18 AM 12/18/99 , you wrote:

>I have a symbol that is a movie clip. This symbol contains another symbol
>which is a button. I want to make it so that when someone clicks the button,
>it goes to a frame in my main movie, not in the movie clip. What action
>commands do i put on the button?

On (Release)
TellTarget (target: /)
Go to and Play (or Go to and Stop)
frame (label: label_name)
End TellTarget
End On

If this syntax does not make sense, click on the button instance, select
the Action tab, and as you start selecting the above actions all the
options will unfold and hopefully will make sense.

The forward slash is the target designation for the main timeline. (For
future reference: You can extend the path to include movie clip instance
names and add forward slashes to target a lower level clip within a clip.)

label_name is whatever name you give to the main timeline frame where you
want playback to jump to. You could just specify a frame number, but labels
are much better since they don't change the way frame numbers do if you add
or delete earlier frames.

By learning to use TellTarget you are on the way to extending your Flash
capabilities tremendously. Have fun.
Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
View the latest from Poison Dart Frog Media:
<http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
Our Flash portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...