Subject: Re: FLASH: US freelance charges
From: Al Rosetti
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:42:51 GMT

One note on payscale for Web design in general..... (including flash)
If you go into a web design firm looking for work... first of all you can
forget the 100 bucks+ an hour you'll get as a freelancer. I don't look for
work this way anymore... in fact I'm gonna start advertising and promoting
my company in March... BUT.... while I was still doing this here is how it
usually went down.

Small web design firms... (like 1 or 2 people)
Proably won't pay you any more than $25 to $30 an hour. Some will give you
a percentage though or let you work for a flat rate. These guys are
generally flexible on most things and cool to work for. Unfortunately you
won't get rich this way.

Mid sized firm (5 people or more)
They generally want you to know PERL, Javascript, HTML, Photoshop, Flash,
Director, marketing and corporate identity building.... knowing how to run
their crappy server is a plus too. I'm not kidding, the second to last
interview I went on this guy wants me to be an ace at everything I just
listed above plus run his server, hehe. At the time I was sorta desperate
for work so I told him I could make sites for $30 an hour but I couldn't run
his server. He was visibly shocked when I asked for that much... he was
thinking more along the lines of $15... plus I had to run the server,
hehehe. Guess what kind of guy gets that job? A really desperate guy who
will work cheap and also happens to lie about what he knows really well.

Big companies (20 plus people)
These companies are big enough to let you specialize in one area.
UNFORTUNATELY... big companies tend to be hyper-inefficient. Fortunately
for them there is one way they can make up for all the standing around and
talking.... pay everyone but management very little. Whelp.... at least you
can specialize at Flash in one of these places and that's a small plus.

HA FREAKIN HA!!!!!!

You can charge a mere $75 to $100 an hour (that's respectable for Flash in
Phoenix AZ where I live)..... work 20% as much..... put out a higher
quality product because you're working for the customer.... not your
manager..... AND.... make just as much cash.

show me he money,

Al Rosetti
http://www.websitepartners.com