Subject: Re: FLASH: Re:
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 01:03:08 GMT

At 06:46 PM 2/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>You have to insert key frames in between so it doesn't follow in a straight
>line.
<SNIP>
>>Can someone please tell me if symbols tweened and snapped to a guide have
>limitations on what kind of arcs they can follow.
>>I have one on a half circle that just goes from the starting frame to the
>last frame in a straight line.

Actually the above advice is incorrect. The whole point of a motion guide
is to tween a symbol along a curved path from one keyframe to the next
(with frames, not keyframes, in between the two). No intervening keyframes
should be necessary unless the motion guide is complex -- for example, if
it is a figure-eight then extra keyframes may (or may not) be needed to get
it to work correctly. I've tweened symbols to pretzel-shaped guides using
only one motion guide and two keyframes.

The most common reasons for failure of a motion guide are 1) the object is
not a symbol; 2) you have more than one symbol present in the layer where
the tweening takes place; 3) the object is not snapped to the motion guide
at both the starting and ending keyframes. Be sure snapping is enabled,
drag the symbol by the center cross (which should become a circle), and use
zoom to be certain it snaps to the motion guide; and 4) you've forgotten to
apply motion tweening after locking the start and ending positions of the
symbol.

Marc Hoffman