Subject: Re: FLASH: Rotating Globe
From: Mary Brzys
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 05:36:54 GMT

Hi Jayma,

I saw your globe and it loaded pretty fast. When you trace bitmap
sometimes it is necessary to tweak your artwork and simplify it. Think
of it as a puzzle put together, even though there are the same colors
in pieces right next to each other, they are still broken apart. So
you'll have a lot of little pieces of the same color, (or soo close to
the same color that you can go in and color them the same color)This
is why it created a larger file.

I did notice that the frame work, though well done, is more dominant
that the actual maping on the globe. You might try lighting up the
frame portion of your artwork, which will make the maping stand out
more.

Mary Brzys
Flash Artist

---Jayma <jaymalandatearthlink [dot] net> wrote:

> I have been working on a rotating globe for a part of a movie for a
client.
> It is 30 frames long to get the smoothest (most frames) for one
rotation.

> After putting it together in Flash, it was over 200k for the globe
alone.
> (Obviously not acceptable.) I wanted to optimize it, so I did the
trace
> bitmap and optimized the curves of every frame. Well, when I check
the swf
> file after that, I found it to be over 800k. This sure didn't seem
to be
> "optimized" to me! Please! If anyone has any idea why the size
went from
> smaller before to much larger after, I would love to hear it! I
even made
> symbols of the traced/optimized objects and deleted the original
bitmaps
> just to see if that would help. But it didn't. A "save as" greatly
> reduced my .fla size, but no effect on the .swf.
>
> You can view it (the smaller, non "optimized" one) here. If you
don't mind
> waiting just a bit, I would appreciate it.
> http://www.danaeweb.com/demos/jk/globe.html
> (This is raw, and I just did a quick html to show you with
Aftershock, and
> must have missed something in my haste as I had problems viewing
with IE4
> (Mac), but was fine in Netscape.)
> Any feedback is welcome. Oh, and yes, I am aware that it is revolving
> backwards!
>

> Thanks,
> Jayma

==