Subject: Re: FLASH: Controling flash from Java
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:53:47 GMT

At 8:03 AM 2/16/99, alan dennis wrote:
>What's the best way to have a java applet control flash? What's desired
>is to have the applet tell flash which movie to show. So A movie would
>be played, something happens in the applet (user interaction of some
>sort) and a new movie is then played in the same flash instance. This
>needs to work in multiple browsers and multiple platforms.

Sorry... Java-enabled Netscape 3+ browsers on PowerMac and Win32 can have
applets talk to plugins, but the Microsoft browsers don't catch events from
applets. (Rephrased, there's a greater constriction on where applets can
speak than where Flash can listen.)

If you're searching for a multi-environment way to interactively choose
Flash presentations, then options include:

-- Do the interactivity in JavaScript, and have the result branch to
different HTML pages

-- Use Shockwave as a host for the SWF media... this has interactive and
data-driving abilities similar to Java, but with lower development costs

Java-to-JavaScript-to-Flash control can work in some environments (if you
proof the work in all three development tools), but there are definite
constraints on where such interobject communication are permitted, regrets.
Either the JavaScript or the Shockwave approach might pay off better here.

jd

Offlist email risks capture by the spam filters! I may not see your