Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Flash and Internet Explorer and MacOs 9
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:52:34 GMT

> So if there is someone out there who knows how to really get ie 4.5
> to run with the installed plugIn let us know...
> its not really a matter of script is it?
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,
There's nothing you can do on your end to fix your problem (unless you care
to run Netscape instead). At the most basic level, this is what happens when
proprietary companies won't try to come to some agreement and develop and/or
comply with standards. MS has its own particular brand of control (active-x)
which can't be tested for using javascript (see the Judge's findings on the
MS case for information as to why they don't particularly want their browser
to work correctly on other platforms and really don't want Javascript and
Java and Netscape to "win" (which has little to do with the web.) However,
it isn't necessary to use Javascript to test for the plug-in, so yes it is
the script. Colin Moock has tutorials that work on his site
(http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/flash4noscript/index.html),
and Macromedia explains how to write scripts that work in one of their tech
notes (I don't have the numbers handy off the top of my head, but a search
on MM's site should find it for you). Unfortunately for us, apparantly MM
didn't figure this out until after release and people using the scripts as
pre-written will provide you with the experience you've encountered. You
should find there are sites (hopefully more and more as the info gets passed
around) that do detect properly for your browser choice or allow you to
choose for yourself. You can drop a note to the developer of "broken" sites
and tell them where they can get information on better browser detection,
and hopefully they will fix it.

Laura Mollett

flasher is generously supported by...