Subject: Re: FLASH: load movie/unload movie
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 23:34:25 GMT

At 03:16 PM 2/6/00 , you wrote:

>Say I have a movie that has a frame action of "load movie"... will the time
>line of my main movie continue on, even if the SWF file that is being loaded
>has not yet done? Or will it halt my main movie until it is loaded.....

Whatever is not loaded will continue to load, with the two movies sharing
bandwidth. You need a stop action in the main movie timeline if you want it
to wait. Then use TellTarget somewhere in the second movie to make the
first movie continue to play.

>And second of all......if I unload my movie, and then reload it at a later
>time (with the load movie command), will it load faster, since it has been
>loaded once already?

It should, since it will be in cache. But that's not an efficient use of
Load/Unload movie. Unload the movie only if you know it won't be needed
again. If it might be needed again, just park it -- that is, send it to a
stopped frame where there is no visible content. Use TellTarget to do this,
and use TellTarget again to make it go to a visible frame and start playing
again.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...