Subject: Re: FLASH: proportions $ stuff
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 05:39:55 GMT

At 07:52 PM 2/6/00 , you wrote:

>Hi !
>Could someone tell me please - the correct proportions to make a full page
>flash movie that can be viewed as intended in every resolution. I've been
>working in 1024x768 and now have to start from scratch to make it viewable
>for 640x480 and 600x800 res.
>Is there a golden formula somewhere? Or just hard work needed!

Actually, all those resolutions have the same proportions (4:3). If your
movie is all vector, it will scale fine to any size. If you use bitmaps,
you will probably want either to display it at a fixed size. Optimally you
would use bitmaps at 100% (that is, they're brought into the Flash movie at
100% and the movie displays at its actual stage size) -- they will look
best that way. It's okay to scale them smaller in the display, but they
don't always look great that way. They definitely will start to look
pixelated (jaggy) if you display them larger than their original size. The
key point here is that bitmaps convey information for every pixel of the
image, so you want those pixels of information to line up with the pixels
on the screen.

I suspect part of your problem is that you're trying to figure out the
right proportions to use the entire available browser screen, which of
course is not to the same proportions as the monitor viewing area. In fact,
there's no way to anticipate the available browser area because of the
different browsers and the user's ability to expand or collapse toolbars.
Lately I have been using a ratio of 755:415 and this seems to be a good
compromise. If working in all vector, I might double or triple these
numbers just to be able to work in higher resolution (easier to see and
line things up; more zoom power).

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...