Subject: FLASH: Re: Re: Flash and Internet Explorer and MacOs 9
From: A.R.
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:13:17 GMT

Hi Laura,
thx for your detailed info at first. Well see, its exactly as i
mentioned and thought!

> Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 09:12:28 -0500
> From: "Laura Mollett" <lmollettatmindspring [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Flash and Internet Explorer and MacOs 9
>
> Hi Alex,
> There's nothing you can do on your end to fix your problem (unless you care
> to run Netscape instead).

Well alright, basically no problem - anyway i ONLY use Communicator 4.7,
as i actually hate the redigulous design and usage of the ie4.5 and all the
other MS-Products.
But apart from MY PERSONAL opinion (i dont wanna put up another
3-weeks-flaming about MS vs. Apple) i HAVE to use even ie4.5 to check at
least
what i programmed, for my customers.
(I check everything with NC 3,4 and ie 4.01 , 5 (win) plus NC 3,4 and ie
4.01 and 4.5(mac).
So whenever i check for the ie 4 and 5-family on windoze, activeX helps
to see what i did, but on the mac?
Its just a little game MS played when they said: "we gonna put out our products
for the mac as well"...they NEVER have the same functionality as in
windows...and the story goes on. =:-(((( (= makes my hair look like this!)

> At the most basic level, this is what happens when
> proprietary companies won't try to come to some agreement and develop and/or
> comply with standards.

Exactly!

> MS has its own particular brand of control (active-x)
> which can't be tested for using javascript (see the Judge's findings on the
> MS case for information as to why they don't particularly want their browser
> to work correctly on other platforms and really don't want Javascript and
> Java and Netscape to "win" (which has little to do with the web.)

Aint that stupid? Why do we always seem to make things more difficult then
easier, even if we could? Many more people would aprechiate products
that work well then hassling around with detailes in function that
SHOULD be
used because they re much better!
(But thats the same story like with Video 2000 in the seventies...it WAS the
better system (technically) but sony made the race with their agressive
advertising campaign.
Now VHS is worldwide known, but who still knows Video 2000?

> However,
> it isn't necessary to use Javascript to test for the plug-in, so yes it is
> the script. Colin Moock has tutorials that work on his site
> (http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/flash4noscript/index.html),
> and Macromedia explains how to write scripts that work in one of their tech
> notes (I don't have the numbers handy off the top of my head, but a search
> on MM's site should find it for you). Unfortunately for us, apparantly MM
> didn't figure this out until after release and people using the scripts as
> pre-written will provide you with the experience you've encountered.

Wich is scandalous enough, dont you think their products are somehow expensive
to take care of such (important) detailes?

> You
> should find there are sites (hopefully more and more as the info gets passed
> around) that do detect properly for your browser choice or allow you to
> choose for yourself. You can drop a note to the developer of "broken" sites
> and tell them where they can get information on better browser detection,
> and hopefully they will fix it.
>
> Laura Mollett

Again, thx for your info and time on that issue.

regards, Alex

"Die Dinge sind erst dann wirklich, wenn man sich auf ihre
WIRKLICHKEIT geeinigt hat..."
"Things do become real ONLY when we DECIDE they are..."
(Carlos Castaneda)

digitalwelten - new media -
Multimedia Service GbR
http://www.digitalwelten.com