Subject: Re: FLASH: A team-based approach to multimedia education [Tom Greene]
From: Clodagh O'Donovan
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:16:14 GMT

Hey Tom!

I've just completed an MSc in Multimedia Systems at Trinity College Dublin.
They have a similar approach to the one you've described. Two-thirds of the
final mark is for a group project which is built during the summer months
and is exhibited in a gallery in October. A fair percentage of the project
mark is related to how the team interacted and cooperated with each other.
It certainly was a huge learning experience. I've worked in team situations
before, but never where there was no team leader. Everyone was on a par
with each other. It made for some interesting negotiations - I can tell
you!!

TCD don't have a placement scheme - but for the past three years - every
student who wanted a job, got one. There were a few students who chose not
to continue their careers in multimedia - they wen't back to their previous
specialty!

Personally, I believe this team method is an extremely valuable one for
students. I'd be interested to see how many other universities use this
idea.

Cheers!

Clo

Clodagh O'Donovan
Fever Information Design Limited Tel: 00 353 1 677 1131
19 Wicklow Street Fax: 00 353 1 677 1088
Dublin 2 Email: clodaghatfever [dot] ie
Ireland URL: http://www.fever.ie

Tom Green wrote:

> > Each group of students- fresmen , graduate and "post-graduate"- are
> > broken into teams of 4 or 5 and assigned a project for delivery at the
> > end of the academic year. For example, this year's projects include an
> > interactive exploration of Breughel's painting "Children's Games", an
> > interactive presentation of Herbie Hancock's "Sixties Sessions" CD
> > compilation and the freshmen (first year students) produce an
> > interactive CD titled "My Life…So Far" that presents the members of
> > the group and stresses their differences and their similarities. We
> > also insist teach class break into groups and prepare an interactive
> > web site for a local not for profit or charity organization.
> >
> > As I said, we started doing this two years ago and the results have
> > been nothing short of amazing. Two weeks ago I asked the graduating
> > class ."Who doesn't have a co-op placement?" Only 4 of 28 hands were
> > raised. Two years ago, I asked who has a co-op placement and only 4 of
> > 27 hands were raised. A complete flip.
> >
> ><snip>

> > I'd be interested in learning if any other colleges and universities
> > doing this?

flasher is generously supported by...