Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: JS in iCab (Was... iCab Redux or a New Great Mac Hope)
From: Frederico
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 04:19:14 GMT

On 2/7/00 7:07 PM, Eric Dunham via brokenatcorridor [dot] net, said:

>Do any of you Mac gurus (Frederico?) know what kind of object hierarchy is
>used in the iCab JS stuff (ie. does it support objects like document.all,
>document.layers or some other layer hierarchy...)? I'm just wondering,
>well... because it's my job :) Any pointers to online documentation, etc.
>would be extremely helpful.

Hi Eric,

Nothing online that I could find either; might be a few days before
online docs catch up with bundled.

We were pleased to find that Flash movies play flawlessly, LoadMovie
functions perfectly, etc, but a lot of our JS isn't yet supported, so
we'll just keep crossing our fingers that development keeps this peppy
pace.

I haven't even looked at this browser since p1.6 or so; it's come a long,
long way. It's light (1.2MB), snappy, customizeable, stable, and
downright anorexic in terms of RAM required (a whopping 4MB alocation
runs just fine, even with plugins), and, perhaps best of all, handles
Java via the Apple MRJ 2.2, which finally makes Web-based Java pretty
useable. It even handles a number of beta plugins that otherwise kill IE
and NN.

I know Stacy is willing to masquerade as NN or IE to get at the Flash,
but I think this isn't a great idea, especially at our older Flash sites,
because so much JS is subtle and you might never know what you're
missing. We were too vain a couple years back in much of our design, and
said "to hell" with people who turn off JS, though now we work hard to
sniff them out. I've already been to a handful of sites where none of the
imbedded functions work, and if I didn't know about the JS issue and had
seen these sites before, I might not have even known that I wasn't seeing
everything.

>From what I've seen so far, I think you can count on the next preview
version handling JS 1.2 just fine, and the final release in June should
prove to be pretty spiffy.

If you've got access to a Mac, I highly recommend giving this thing a
once-over, especially if you were a CyberDog fan. Now is the time to give
your input; the builders are quite responsive to wishlists withthis
thing, and it's coded so smartly as to accept addons and enhancments
without a major rewrite.

Anyway,

>From the ReadMe:

€ InScript (iCab's implementation of JavaScript/ECMAScript) can now
switched on. But don't expect too much, the JavaScript implementation is
not yet finished. Most parts of the DOM (Document Object Model), that
means the possibility for a script to access all the HTML elements, are
still missing. So some JavaScript based pages will work, but most won't.
This is why InScript is still switched off by default. We recommend to
keep it switched off unless you know HTML and JavaScript very well.

In the iCab archive you'll find a JavaScript example which shows what's
already working.

>From the Example:
Technical comments

InScript implements the 2nd edition of the ECMA-262 standard
("ECMAScript"). Therefore it has roughly all the features of JavaScript
1.1.

Compared to newer versions of JavaScript the following parts of the
language are missing:

€ nested functions
€ function, array and object literals
€ switch / case / default
€ do .. while
€ export / import
€ labels for break label and continue label
€ regular expressions

As soon as DOM level 0 has been implemented sufficiently, InScript will
be extended to the upcoming ECMAScript standard (3rd edition), which
corresponds to JavaScript 1.5. After that, DOM level 1 (and later on
level 2) can be realized.

At the moment InScript implements properties defined by the DOM and some
Navigator/Explorer extensions as follows:
Object
Properties
Window
alert, clearInterval, clearTimeout, clientInformation, closed, confirm,
defaultStatus, frames, history, length, location, name, navigator,
parent, prompt, screen, self, setInterval, setTimeout, status, top
Document
cookie, lastModified, location, referrer, title, URL, write, writeln
"global"
ScriptEngine, ScriptEngineBuildVersion

Most of the event handlers should work, but they are not executed using a
DOM context yet, but rather the global context only.

More links on JavaScript you'll find here.
(<http://www.snailshell.de/NBP/javascript.html>)

+++

Frederico

flasher is generously supported by...