Subject: Re: FLASH: Wacom size
From: unique
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 02:15:28 GMT

Tyson said:

>I'm new to this whole Wacom thing, never used one actually but am looking at
>getting one. What are the benefits to getting the biggest pad you can
>afford? I mean I understand you have more area to work with, but say for
>instance 12"x12"...what can you do on it that you can't (or have a hard time
>doing) on the 6"x8"? Would I have to drag over and scroll the page to get
>more area or how does that work?

Hi Tyson,

First thing to consider is work space. My 6x8 (they *should* call it
8x6 ... width before height is a standard) at home takes up about 13
wide by 10 high. Add 5 to the "live area" size width, and add 4 to
the length, for other models, for close numbers. (So a "9x12" would
be 17x13, etc.)

The nice thing about the 6x8 and the 9x12 is that they are the only
ones that are proportional to your monitor screen! And the 9x12 comes
with the 4D Mouse, a very very very cool toy (5 buttons, +/0/-
thumbwheel)! (I have one at work.) Check it out at Wacom's site.

I never use anything but my Intuos pen when on my home 6x8 ... NO
MOUSE (but keep it hooked up for emergency startups from CD, etc.)
... the pen handily sits in the stand that comes with (keep it very
near you and aimed TOWARD the center of the tablet -- that way you
grab it the way you hold it), or, more likely, in my mouth (easy
target) when I'm typing, as now.

You'll love your tablet; just give yourself time to read *all* of the
(pdf) manual (LOTSA choices!), and a coupla days to lose your
training wheels.

The stroke pen (extra-cost accessory) is very nice, too -- very soft
feel, like a felt-tipped. If you're making money on this guy, have on
hand at least an extra "regular" pen ($50, but the stroke pen's only
about $35 more). Otherwise you're screwed if you drop and break it
(they're pretty hardy, though! (Didn't used-to be.))

Have fun and HTH,

Ken Sherwood

p.s. Remember, getting no-more-than-what-you-can-really-make-use-of
of something saves your money toward *other* computer toys! :-)

--

"In particular, I was musing about where Flash would be in a couple
of years. Right now, it's been delivered to a vast number of

-- hwg-theory list contributor, 2000.02.12

flasher is generously supported by...