Subject: FLASH: REPORT: Sound settings
From: Jefferis
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:38:43 GMT

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:31:55 -0800, "Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog
Media" <mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com> wrote:

> From what I've heard, if Flash3 is selected, MP3 compression is not used.
>But your question has me wondering, too. The function of override is to
>ignore individual settings for sounds (applied through the library list).
>Have you looked at the Size Report to try to determine this? Use Generate
>Size Report (an Export Movie option) and look at the report that's
>generated. Toward the bottom of the report it indicates original and
>exported sizes of sounds.
>
>If you test this, please post your findings.
>
>thanks,
>Marc

Report follows comments:

Things are working OPPOSITE of what I expected. For this experiment I
set all sounds to MP3 in the Library. I can't remember how they were
recorded... Notice when Override is Checked OFF/NO It exports the
sounds as MP3 in FLASH 3 [the library's default], but when Checked YES it
uses the EXPORT settings listed. So you are not overriding the library
sound's recorded default, but the Flash 3 or 4 default export.

By far the largest file was Flash 3 checked OFF, which exported MP3 files
5 times larger than as Flash 4 exports the same MP3 file.
ADCPM file sizes were the same in both, but Flash 4 MP3 DEFAULT output
[No Override] created larger files than MONO ADPCM.

So it will by default turn smaller sound files into larger ones unless
you override your sounds. Now however, I DONT THINK YOU CAN manually
take advantage of smaller ADPCM files in Flash 4.

If you create some files as ADPCM files in the library [button, clicks
eg] and choose no override, Flash 4 will output them as MP3. If you
choose ADPCM as an export setting and choose override, ALL your sounds
will come out as ADPCM.

I am not sure this information is making it more helpful to me or less so.

Jeff
************************************

Movie Report with MP3 defaults set in Library For all sounds.
With audio Stream set for both event and start at ADPCM, 5kHz, 4bit mono.

**************
Flash 3 Override CHECKED YES

Stream sound: 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
Event sounds: 5KHz Stereo 4 bit ADPCM

Sound Name Bytes Format
----------------------- -------- --------
apatosaurus .aif 19055 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
stomp .aif 1886 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
BOING_ 1698 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM

**************
Flash 3 Override CHECKED NO

Stream sound: 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
Event sounds: 11KHz Stereo 4 bit ADPCM

Sound Name Bytes Format
----------------------- -------- --------
apatosaurus .aif 95188 11KHz Mono 16 kbps MP3
stomp .aif 9372 11KHz Mono 16 kbps MP3
BOING_ 1701 11KHz Mono 16 kbps MP3

**************
Flash 4 Override CHECKED NO

Stream sound: 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
Event sounds: 11KHz Stereo 4 bit ADPCM

Sound Name Bytes Format
----------------------- -------- --------
apatosaurus .aif 14263 11KHz Mono 16 kbps MP3
stomp .aif 1887 11KHz Mono 16 kbps MP3
BOING_ 1679 11KHz Mono 16 kbps MP3

**************

Flash 4 with Override CHECKED YES

Sound Name Bytes Format
apatosaurus .aif 19055 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
stomp .aif 1886 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM
BOING_ 1698 5KHz Mono 4 bit ADPCM

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing