Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Design computer configuration---under $3500.
From: Eric Dunham
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:08:02 GMT

FWIW on the PC side,

My box has been really good to me for development of all kinds.

(1) ABIT BP6 Socket370 Mainboard ~$130
(2) Intel Celeron 500 PPGA ~$120
(2) Seagate Barracuda 28.0GB HDD ~$220
(2) Diamond Viper V770 Ultra TNT2 32MB ~$150
(1) Turtle Beach - Voyetra Montego A3D ~$50
(2) 21" Sony Trinitron GDM500PS ~$800
(1) 256MB PC133 CAS2 SDRAM DIMM ~$400
(1) Creative 8432CDRW (8x4x32) ~$200

All of that together is rougly $3200, but I'm sure you might be able to find
some of the products for significantly cheaper than when I bought them
(http://www.pricewatch.com), I'm just quoting you the prices that I
remember. If you're going to go with a PC, I highly recommend ABIT boards
(disclaimer: I am not affiliated or involved, in any way, shape or form with
ABIT Computer Corp. or it affiliates :) because of their functionality,
reliability and their support for newer technologies (one of very first to
support and implement UDMA66 and the first to successfully produce a dual
Socket 370 board) http://www.abit.com.tw I've been actually very pleased
with the Celeron as a low-cost alternative to the Pentium line. If you're
running an operating system that supports SMP (Win2000 here) a setup like
mine is great. Granted, I would rather have dual PentiumIII-733s or even
moreso, dual G4-450s, but my pockets aren't quite that deep right now ;) If
you have any questions...

HTH,
Eric Dunham