Subject: Re: Thanks anyway.... Re: FLASH: Student site check request
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:11:55 GMT

> I wanted to thank everyone that took time to check out my Flash project.
> With all due respect, I did find it interesting that out of the 5 responses,
> only one of them addressed my concerns about the lightness/darkness issues.
> I did receive some other valuable tips... but my original issue was never
> resolved. I suppose everyone else was too busy posting about Non-Flash
> issues and participating in flame wars to help me out. Thanks anyway.

If you really signed off the list you won't see this, but <shrug>. There
were several relevant posts regarding mac/pc light/dark issues and the best
ways to deal with them, including a pointer to a mac/pc gamma tool that I
personally find very helpful. Maybe you missed some of them? They were in
the OT thread mac vs pc. The best way to see if you think your site is too
dark on a pc would be for you (knowing what it is supposed to look like) to
look at it on a pc. You did that and found it too dark?... doesn't that
resolve the issue for you? (I have the same problem... my site is too dark
on the pc as well.) Since I have a mac, and no available pc atm, it'd be
hard for me to check it for you.

I personally try to answer questions that others haven't or can't answer. A
ton of "yes that's the problem/that's how you do it" keeps the bandwidth
high as much as anything else. This group is unmoderated and inclines to be
a community with its personalities and issues and jokes. The same person
whose interest in outside issues annoys you is likely to be the one who has
the answer and time to give it that you need another time. (Frederico is
often interested in mac issues. Frederico also posted advice on how to check
the if your site is too dark on the pc from a mac.) Not all problems are
strictly on-topic and its possible to learn the things you need to know in
off-topic threads. Everyone's opinion as to what is or isn't off-topic is as
related to what they personally find useful as it is to the basic topic.
There are those who might find the posting of solutions to mac/pc gamma
issues off-topic for a Flash list. Some have indicated that all critique
requests could be off-topic. Lighten up a little. The real OTs are usually
clearly marked, easy to delete, and it's nice to be part of a community.

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...