Subject: FLASH: Setting text fields in a MC as the instance is created
From: DeJarnett, Gary
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:05:14 GMT

I’m needing a pop-up keypad for some of my work and wanted to make it a
short Flash movie where each key “unfolded” from the previous key until the
keypad is built. It’s hard to explain, but I have uploaded calc.fla to
ftp://206.107.180.51/GaryDJ/calc.fla <ftp://206.107.180.51/GaryDJ/calc.fla>
. Anyone interested in helping out with this question will probably need to
be looking at it to understand.

On the main stage, there is an instance (Calc) of a movie clip
(movOpenCalc). If you open this movie clip and play it, you’ll see the
“unfolding” effect I’m after. Each button is an instance (ins1, ins2, etc…)
of the movie clip movCalc. For example, to see ins1, go to frame 2 in layer
1 after hiding layers above it. To see where ins2 appears, go to frame 11
after hiding layers above layer 2. Each button has a variable text field
(txtCalc) which will hold the digit of the number of that keypad button. It
is initially the number 4, but as each instance is created, I want to move
the real keypad number into that field. For example, after creating the
first button, I move a 1 to the text field on that instance. That works
fine. On all subsequent buttons, though, the number I move to the text
field never gets loaded (see frame 11 of the top layer (named code), it
says, Set Variable: "Calc/ins2:txtCalc" = 2. This statement is executed in
frame 11, because that is where this instance first appears (while the 3rd
button is “unfolding”).

If anyone can explain why a 2 is not moved into the text field on the second
instance, I would appreciate it. I’ve studied tell targeting and thought I
had it down, but I must be missing a concept somewhere. A second question
is why my tell target on the first frame of the timeline of the main movie
is not playing movOpenCalc when I test it. I have Go to and Play ("Begin")
and Begin is the second frame of the movie clip, so the Stop action in the
first frame should be ignored. Again, I’m obviously missing something.
Feel free to tell me which part of John’s book I need to reread in order to
get this stuff straight in my head. If it would help in your explanation,
I’d also be glad for you to replace the broken version with a modified
version at the FTP site.

Thanks for all your help in the past, and for listening to this problem,

Gary (dejarnettatttu [dot] edu <dejarnettatttu [dot] edu (mailto:dejarnettatttu [dot] edu)> )

flasher is generously supported by...