Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: OT - images
From: Brian
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:28:05 -0000

> I agree with whomever said that people are becoming wh*res.. I make very
> good money writing code, doing flash stuff, whatever; but if somebody
> comes to me with a cool idea or a noble cause, and I can fit it into my
> schedule, I'll do it. I'm certainly not offended by someone asking me
> that, in fact, I'm honored that they are impressed enough by my work to
> ask me to do something for them.

Let's see... I have a wife, three kids (two of 'em teenagers) - oh, and a
cat - all those bills, groceries for all these people, a mortgage, 2-car
maintenance, a job that doesn't pay real well and isn't what I ought to be
doing... so, I'm a whore for wanting to get compensated for my efforts?
Then I'm a whore.

> to the person who said "you're not just asking them to do it for free,
> you're asking them to spend $$ for electricity, etc.." Are you
> serious?!?! I'm surprised you spent the money to reply to this
> thread.. and you cost everybody the money to read your message.

But we do this by choice, because being here reflects our interests... and
it's the networking.
Not the same thing.

> I think a lot of people get caught up in the business & money aspect of
> the web, and don't think about the community aspect. Sure, we all want to
> get paid, but just because you get paid to do something doesn't mean you
> can't do it and not get paid. look at the open source movement; there's a
> lot of guys writing great software out there, some of them make big bucks
> at their day job, and some of them don't have day jobs, but the work that
> they distribute freely is done for nothing except satisfaction (and
> perhaps to add to their portfolio).

That's THEIR call.
Mine is: SUPPORT MY FAMILY.
You want my talents?
You pay.

> man, even lawyers do pro bono work... :)

Plus, they make enough $$$ to be able to AFFORD to do some freebies.
Hello!

-Brian Matthews
http://www.stonetrek.com