Subject: FYI: Flash 5.0a Macintosh updater now available
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:46:35 -0000

Macromedia Flash 5.0a Updater FAQ

[Q] What does the Flash 5.0a Macintosh updater provide me?
[A] Flash 5.0a is an update to Flash 5.0 for Macintosh only. This
update provides overall improved reliability and stability for the
Flash 5 Macintosh authoring environment. A few specific problems this
update addresses are:
1. On some systems, working in Flash 5.0 with the Sound Panel open
could cause the application to become unstable.
2. On some configurations, when exporting complex Flash movies such
as movies containing Smart Clips inside of movie clips, the
application would crash reporting a "Type 12" error.
3. With Flash 5.0 (English only), Using File > Export to Animated GIF
format could cause Flash to crash.
4. Dragging and dropping a frame into a timeline layer with no blank
frame in the first frame of the layer could cause Flash 5.0 to crash.
5. In rare circumstances, moving an object using the arrow keys could
cause Flash 5.0 to crash.

[Q] How can I obtain the Flash 5.0a Macintosh updater?
[A] The Flash 5.0a Macintosh updater can be downloaded from the
Macromedia Flash Download Center at
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/download/

[Q] How much does the updater cost?
[A] The updater is free to all registered Macromedia Flash 5 customers.

[Q] Are there any additional features in Flash 5.0a?
[A] There are no feature additions besides improved stability when
running the Macromedia Flash authoring environment on a Macintosh.

[Q] I downloaded and installed the trial version of Flash 5.0
(English) prior to March 3rd, 2001. Can I apply the updater to my
trial version?
[A] No. Unfortunately the updater can not be applied to the trial
version of Flash 5.0. You may either download the newly updated
trial version (as of March 3rd, 2001) or if you purchase the trial
version, the updater can then be applied.

[Q] I purchased a boxed copy of Flash 5.0 (or the Flash/FreeHand or
Flash/Generator Studio) after March 15th, 2001. Do I need to run the
updater?
[A] Yes. All CD's manufactured after March 01st, 2001 should include
the 5.0a updater on the main level of the CD along with a readme
file. This updater is identical to the updater available on
macromedia.com. Please run this updater for maximum stability.

[Q] After applying the updater, I double clicked on the Flash 5 alias
on my desktop, but did not notice any difference. Why?
[A] The Flash 5.0a updater will create a new copy of the Flash 5
executable, leaving the old copy untouched as a backup. The new
executable will be called "Flash 5.0a" and you will need to update
any aliases you have created. You can verify the version of the
executable by selecting the file and viewing File > Get Info.

[Q] Is there a 5.0a updater available for Windows?
[A] No. The problems users were encountering on the Macintosh
platform were not occurring in the Windows version of Flash 5.

[Q] What languages is the updater available for?
[A] The Flash 5.0a updater for Macintosh is available for all
languages supported by Flash 5.0 including English, Japanese, French,
German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish and Portuguese. There is a
separate updater for each language. Localized updaters will be
available for download on Feb 22nd.