Subject: FLASH: Multiple IE versions on the same PC.
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:39:07 GMT

Yes this is really a browser question but it relates to Flash because I was wondering if there is a way to keep IE 3.0 and 4.0 on the same machine. I need this to be able and test Flash in both. I know Netscape allows you to do this, but is this another one of Microsoft's great ideas to not allow you to do this?

There are shared libraries which are different on the two browser versions. These shared library files make it impossible to have two versions of Internet Explorer on the same machine unless you set up separate partitions and have multiple installations of Windows, one containing IE 3.02 and one with IE 4.01. You can use Partition Magic or similar partition software to choose which partition to use as your current operating system. It's a bit of a drag, but necessary, as even running NT and Windows 95 or 98 together can confuse things at times.

Here at Macromedia I have separate machines dedicated to Windows 95/MSIE 3.02 and to MSIE 4.01.

Interestingly enough, you can have multiple versions of MSIE 4.0, 4.01 and 4.5 co-existing on the same Macintosh. Again, though, MSIE 3.0 doesn't co-exist with MSIE 4.x.

Brad Bechtel
Flash QA
------------------------------------------------------------------------ To UNSUBSCRIBE send: unsubscribe flasher in the body of an email to list-manageratshocker [dot] com. Problems to: owneratshocker [dot] com N.B. Email address must be the same as the one you used to subscribe. For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratshocker [dot] com