Subject: Re: FLASH: Fonts (Could be on the Wish List too)
From: Jeremy Pinkham
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:57:34 GMT

Byron Canfield wrote in response to a question about PostScript font
troubles in Flash 3.0 for Windows:

"The currently accepted "work-around" is to install ATM 4.0 Deluxe."

Do Flash users on Windows find this to be a generally satisfactory
solution? I ask this, because Macromedia's TechNote on the subject
(http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/tn4105.html)
states:

"On Windows 95/98/NT, you must use TrueType fonts with Flash. PostScript
Type 1 fonts may display properly during authoring if Adobe Type Manager
(ATM) for Windows is installed, but will not break apart or export to
.swf format and may cause crashes in the Flash editor."

Would you say that Macromedia Tech Support is being over-cautious in
making the case for TrueType here, or have Windows-using folks on this
list found some really plausible reasons to avoid PostScript in Flash,
even when using ATM Deluxe 4.0?

I ask this, as I do both print and Web work, and in the print world
PostScript fonts are generally regarded as far superior to TrueType; it
would seem tiresome to constantly load TrueTypes for Flash work, then
unload them when turning to print (not to mention the cost of investing
in duplicate sets of fonts, PostScript and TrueType, for use in Flash
and print).

Just curious as to suggestions on this; please don't suggest I just "buy
a Mac," thanks -- I'm already far too invested in Windows hard and
software to make such a switch.

-- Jeremy Pinkham