Subject: RE: FLASH: Site check:http://www.dentalportal.com/flash/tmj.html
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:19:35 GMT

At 12:52 PM 1/3/00 , you wrote:

>I just got John's book and have to go over all the options for graphics.
>There are bitmaps, some traced. I've got a lot of symbols - at least that's
>on the right track.

Hi Larry,

I didn't even pay attention to your file size. To analyze what's going on,
when you export the movie select the option to generate a size report, then
look at it (it will be a *.txt file in your movie export folder) to see
what's contributing to such a large file size. I noticed the hand was
auto-traced but my guess is the resulting symbol is probably larger than if
you'd imported a .bmp and just used Flash's jpeg compression on it
(experiement with different degrees of compression). Someone with basic
drawing skills (and, ideally, a drawing tablet such as a Wacom) could
create your graphics from scratch and cut total file size to under 50 k if
they're careful. In the case of the hand, it could be rendered with large
areas of shading instead of all the irregular little lines -- I know it's a
nice style, but each little node on each of those lines spells "bytes."
Also, I didn't pay close attention to your fonts but you can save file size
by sticking to just one font and one face (bold or regular, not both).

You don't use a lot of geometric elements, but be sure that when you do you
re-use the basic components. For example, each of your navigation buttons
can be made up of the same circle and triangle graphic symbol, resized and
with color effects added.

Hope this helps.
Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...