Subject: FLASH: Optimum Browser Window Size [was: Need some input]
From: unique
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 03:28:10 GMT

At the exact moment of 2000.01.03.19.10, her/his local time, Lisa Herschelman
<lisaherschelmanathome [dot] com> put forth:

> 2. What is the best size to build your flash stuff. I have been doing
> them all at 640x480 but I want to make sure that is okay.

First of all, your Flash stuff can have any aspect ratio; there are easy ways to
be sure that it will look good no matter what the proportions of the viewer's
browser window.

However [MONOLOGUE WARNING], I have been thinking about the "lowest common
denominator" theory for Web artwork, and have come up with the following.

(For the sake of "argument", I will assume that the minimum monitor size for
which we wish to design is 14".)

Many people assume that a 4:3 aspect ratio is the proper one for artwork that
will appear in a browser window. Your "640x480" matches that theory.

However, it is apparent to me that that particular ratio only works if your
window has absolutely no overhead top bottom left and right. Then, and only
then, will its viewable area approximate the area of your screen itself
(generally, 4:3 ... hence the Urban Legend).

I've taken the time to make some measurements that offer insight into this
question. (I'm on a 17" monitor, for what it's worth.) My numbers are from
Netscape Navigator; figures for Internet Explorer would differ by about 3%.

Viewable area with window size maximized; all menu bars *on*:

12 x 6.75 inches = an aspect ratio of 1.78 to 1.

As the window frame and the menu bars are a constant, it turns out that reducing
the screen size causes the aspect ratio to increase somewhat; extrapolating for
a 14" screen, the aspect ratio becomes 2 to 1.

A maximized window on a 14" monitor has roughly 10 inches of viewable width, or
720 pixels (at least on a Mac @ 72 dpi; YMMV; I'm just using that as a basis).
Dividing this by the aspect ratio of 2 yields 360 pixels for the height.

Therefore, if you are designing a Web page that will fit *comfortably* within a
reasonably maximized browser window, your maximum pixel area should be 720 by
360.

Happy to hear of alternative points of view; I may have induced some error in
extrapolating for a 14", but it shouldn't be much of a factor, I think.

HTH,

Ken Sherwood

*zenkat: the Flash trailer*
http://www.kensherwood.com/zenkat.htm