Subject: RE: FLASH: OT Post
From: Kevin Jackson
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:15:47 GMT

ERIC said
Sorry to send an OT post, but I need some real world opinions on an office
> suite.......> The CIO of my company wants to ditch Microsoft Office and
wants to go with StarOffice by Sun. My question is are any of you using
StarOffice and what do you think of it in a corporate environment?

Eric,

Some people hate Microsoft so much that they will go to any length to get
them away from the "evil empire" IMO, a pretty stupid way to make corporate
decisions. Years ago, I worked at IBM doing their business proposals and
they dumped Corel and Pagemaker to use AmiPro and Freelance. (Lotus
products) The programs (for the most part) sucked and they were not even in
the same category of software. But they weren't using Microsoft so some
short sighted idiot was happy. The results were fourfold, 1) People like me
left. (I didn't think it made much sense to use lower level programs that
had no market future for me); 2) Some things just couldn't be done anymore;
3) Jobs that could be kluged took twice as long or longer; 4) When they
needed outside help, they were hard pressed to find it because no one uses
the products.

I teach software and have taught all levels of Office as well as some Corel
Office and some Lotus. The reason I don't have more experience with Corel
and Lotus is that the other programs never had any students in them. I have
never seen anything offered for Star Office.

I have heard great things about Star Office but that isn't the point. It's
user base is miniscule. IMO, it makes no sense as a corporate platform
unless they are willing to 1) Bet against Microsoft and 2) Retrain everyone
and be willing to not have the ability to staff outside at all.

Kevin Jackson
Triskelian Design
kjacksonattriskelian [dot] com

flasher is generously supported by...