Subject: RE: FLASH: OT Post (Star Office v MS Office)
From: 2Nerotik
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:55:40 GMT

Well I'm thinking that since the money was already spent on MS Office and it's
on all the workstations that your boss is an idiot.

I can see if you had neither of the Office suites and were deciding on
which one to buy then hey go ahead and try Star Office. But replacing
a known product (a costly one yet) with one nobody knowns anything
about (in your office) would be like cutting off you hand and sewing
on somebody else's because it "might" be better than the one you
already have.

Heck he/she might as well have just flushed all that money down the toilet.

At 01:41 pm 04/01/2000 -0500, Vega, Eric wrote:
>Frederico,
> Thanx for you candor. I do appreciate the below arguments and even
>agree with most of them. Office defiantly has an inflated price. My
>concern (and I believe my VP's) is that of the 5,000 workstations we have,
>about 98% run office. We just dumped tons of cash into making sure we were
>compliant per Microsoft's license agreement. Now in the wake of all of
>that, to switch from Microsoft to Star Office would be tantamount to
>flushing all of that money. Not to mention the cost of the time involved to
>remove Office from all of those PC's to install a different one.
>
>I am not adverse to change, I just would hate to see upper management make a
>snap decision like this on the word of our CIO because he has been using it
>'just fine' on his laptop for two months. Now if we investigate this
>thoroughly and performance & the obvious cost-effectiveness of it make sense
>then I'm all for it.

.oOo.
|| I like feminists. I think they're cute.
|| Addicted 2 Swing ---> http://www.nisa.net/~2nerotik/